Thursday, July 31, 2008

Degree...or Not Degree

Greetings.

The Spokesman-Review published a partial list of names on Tuesday of people who had bought phony degrees and diplomas from a counterfeit mill in Spokane WA, prior to the mill being busted. Apparently, the full list has thousands of names on it and includes some very high ranking individuals in the civilian, military, and other government arenas. Among some of the names I read were top-level executives with phony science degrees, and even some people with phony medical and psychology degrees.

This whole thing makes me wonder just how important a real degree is. You see, on one hand, yes, it's deplorable for these people to defraud their employers like this; but, on the other hand, don't you think it just illustrates that a degree is really not as important to job performance as people think it is?

I really don't know on this one. I mean, I have a lot of respect for those people who put up with all of the bullshit that you have to put up with to earn a degree, so I don't want to come out and say that a degree is worthless, but at the same time, don't you think that somebody at these companies would find out that someone running a physics lab never actually got his degree in physics? What, did the guy just watch a lot of the Discovery Channel and the Science Channel and all of a sudden just figure that he was qualified for the job? And seriously, how is it that nobody noticed?? Did they really not notice, or did they just talk about him behind his back and run the place by themselves?

I have had the displeasure a couple of times of working with people who really had no business holding the positions they were in, and I can tell you first hand that it sucks.

So, if you're boss is a nincompoop and you feel like you are much more qualified than he/she is, go to www.spokesman-review.com and check the complete list. You just might be able to get some real pleasure out of bringing down your idiot boss.

I am the Reverend Humpy and I have approved this message.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey B -

I have been recently looking for another job, for reasons to numerous to mention in a comment. I have four blogs on MySpace devoted to the subject...more to come. But in doing that I come across listings for Administrative Assitants and the companys want an Associates degree or both Associates and Bachelor's degrees to make less than I do now...no thank you, I'd rather go through a temp agency and earn more than I make without a degree...

Dustin said...

A topic right up my alley....when I consult with companies like GM and Yahoo on how to design their recruitment processes and systems, most of them end up requiring degrees for positions in the first two or three tiers (entry level, individual contributor, supervisor, and manager). Anything senior manager, director and above is recruited through personal networks and referrals, in which case degree is really an afterthought. Unfortunately, for the bulk of the positions a degree is a ticket to be considered - the degree itself has nothing to do with the hiring decision, only whether or not the candidate gets a shot at an interview...ain't that a bitch...