Monday, January 28, 2008

What Happened to the Well?

Work. That's what happened.

Greetings,

I know it's been a while since I posted anything, and well, I'm sorry as hell about that. I don't have any excuses, except that now I have a "real job" again, and I just can't seem to find the energy to write. Hmmfh, "real job," indeed. I guess if you call working as a temporary employee for a bank call-center for $10.20/hr a "real job" then yeah, I've got one. I need a new one. Already.

Granted, this job is better than the three days I spent working for that other call-center, but not much. The people are nicer, but the work still sucks. The bottom line is that if I'm going to make $10.20/hr, I could be doing data entry or something like that where at least I wouldn't have to talk to people. I hate talking to people - at least on the phone. Unfortunately, it's one of the things that I'm exceptionally good at that happens to be in demand right now.

I wish guitar instructors were in demand. Or for that matter, I wish guitar players were more in demand. But alas, I have to keep reaching for that brass ring with seemingly impossible odds against me.

I guess that's the really frustrating thing. I am good at doing a lot of different things, and there are a few of those things that I really enjoy doing - but all of the things I enjoy doing are very hard to break into and make a living while doing them.

I was sitting with my wife at a medical appointment this morning and the office had a bunch of instrumental music playing. You know, just kind of relaxing instrumental music. I could do that! I don't have to be a rock-star. I could write and record soothing instrumental song after soothing instrumental song. Hell, for that matter, I could record Karaoke track after Karaoke track. Or movie music. How do I do it though? Well, the real answer is, I would have to sell my house, convince my wife to move to Nashville or Hollywood, and then I might have a shot at becoming a session musician. That is if I can meet the right people and take advantage of all the right opportunities. It's a fucking bullshit circus full of flaming hoops for me to jump through with no guarantee of success at the end.

There are so many fucking jerk-offs out there making "music" that the market is just completely over-saturated. People with real talent have to find ridiculous ways of standing out in a sea of no-talent wannabes with the right haircuts and a musiciansfriend.com line of credit. Even here in my home town trying to book a show is like pulling teeth because of all of these little upstarts who beat Guitar Hero on difficult and think that that somehow entitles them to play shows.

I have been playing music semi-professionally for almost 10 years now. I have played in front of audiences comprised of five people and audiences comprised of 1,500 people. I have...

Ok. I'm just going to stop now. This isn't going anywhere. I am just really frustrated at everything right now and I'm sorry that in this state I'm finding it hard to put together anything worthy of the standards I normally set.

I will start writing again soon, and it will be better. Sorry, but I'll have to put this off until I can formulate my thoughts more clearly.

I am the Reverend Humpy, and I begrudgingly approve this message.

3 comments:

Dustin said...

Glad to hear from you, even if its a bit frazzled. If you want my old Nashville studio contacts, you've got them...but you'd last about twenty minutes cutting muzak tracks before your head exploded. You're far too creative for that. Now movie scores and the like....that's a possibility. I've got a couple of low-level Hollywood contacts, but you'd kill yourself after twenty minutes entrenched in a part of the world with the highest douche-bag-per-capita ratio.

So it seems you absolutely have to be a rockstar. And it is with this in mind that I raise my rock lock to you, Ronnie James Dio style, and prepare to buy your new record on iTunes. Fuck yes, you can. Fuck yes.

Reverend Humpy said...

Thanks, buddy. I hope to be back soon. But for right now, I gotta go to work.

Unknown said...

Hey B -

Sorry to hear all that negative stuff. Dan and I happen to be in the same boat. I want to be on Broadway and he's really talented when it comes to acting and improv. He's getting a taste of the Bohemian life at the moment, but we have bills and need to work completely useless jobs. You should come work here with me. I could guarantee that you wouldn't be bored and neither would I. I keep praying and have faith that one day it will happen for all of us and we'll be have dinner somewhere expensive with tiny food and laugh about all the angst we shed. Much love to the Rev and the wife!