Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blah.

Greetings.

I'm feeling a little blah today. It's one of those days in which it feels very hard to keep a sense of optimism.

This morning, I got my math test back from a few days ago. I thought that I did very well on this test... until I saw the 79% written on the front of it. This screws my chances of getting a 4.0 in that class, and consequently a 4.0 GPA for the quarter. If that doesn't kill one's motivation I don't know what does.

Then I walked outside and saw a table on the campus mall with a big sign that said "Impeach Obama" along with a portrait of Obama photoshopped to have a Hitler mustache. Even though nobody was talking to these idiots, it was just another reminder of the paranoid, hysterical Tea Party crowd that has been dominating the headline. I tried for a few minutes to be thankful for the First Amendment and for the fact that there is diversity in ideas here on campus, but those thoughts didn't stick around. It's like trying to be thankful for a dent in your car because it "gives it character."

Then I had the idea to take a picture of these guys standing there all alone and post it on my Facebook profile with the caption "Fox News reports 3000 people at anti-Obama rally at EWU." This was meant to satirize the Fox News coverage of the first Tea Party protests in which the network reported millions of people gathered at the event when there was clearly less than 100,000 people in attendance. I thought I was being really clever.

The problem with being really clever is that most other people don't get what you're trying to say. I wrestled with the decision to even post it because I was sure that there would be a bunch of people who wouldn't get it or completely get the wrong idea. Despite all that, however, I did decide to post it.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit like one feels during the first 10 minutes of a cardio workout. You start to wonder what the point is. You wonder if your work is ever going to pay off. You pay an awful lot of attention to how hard you are breathing. You start thinking about giving up.

If you don't give up, though, something magical usually happens at the 10 minute mark. Your body stops its bitching. It accepts your mind's dominance and gets used to the strain. I am waiting to hit my 10 minute mark today, and I think it may be right around the corner.

I am the Reverend Humpy and I have approved this message.

3 comments:

Amberocca said...

chin up my dear... this too will pass. Humanity is stupid. A sad but true fact.

Lets just be thankful that in a world full of morons we have friends that bring us through with some sort of intelligence.:)

Amber out.

Amberocca said...

By the by.... I have my own blog now so I can write pure drivle and comment on your page... yiya. I've gone to the dark side.

Reverend Humpy said...

Thanks, Amber. If you give me the url to your blog I will read it AND link to it from here.