Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Band of the Week: The Rolling Stones - Song #3: Sympathy for the Devil

Greetings.

Today's song is always a crowd favorite, and was absolutely one of the highlights of the show when I saw the Stones live in 2003. I've always loved this song because the studio version, and the newer live versions are all so different sounding from the classic "Stones" sound. It's piano driven, not guitar driven, so it throws you a little off guard. There's a live version, however, that is totally guitar driven, and when my band covers this song, that's the way that we do it (only because we don't have a piano player). I also LOVE Keith's solo in the original studio version - that nasty sounding fuzz tone is just awesome! Lyrically, it took me a long time to really be ok with this one, because I didn't want people to get the idea that I was a devil worshipper or anything, but lately I'm not so concerned with that kind of thing. If people want to judge me by the music I enjoy, that's their problem, not mine. Also, now that I'm a Lit major, I realize that the lyrics are not really about the "Devil" in the biblical sense anyway - that's just an allegory. The lyrics deal with the kinds of things that humanity does that we all just accept: Greed, war, murder, politics - We don't need a devil to be responsible for these things, we're quite capable of bringing them about ourselves. Aside from all that noise, however, this song's just got a great groove to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: