Monday, January 9, 2012

Band of the Week: The Rolling Stones - Song #5: Rocks Off

Greetings,

This week's band is The Rolling Stones. I can't even begin to describe the reasons why I love the Stones. I guess the best way to say it is that I don't understand how anyone could NOT like the Stones. There's just something magical in their music. It's completely pure rock and roll - and I think that part of that magic has to do with the fact that they've never forgotten about where rock and roll came from: Blues and Boogie. Today's song is the opening track for the landmark album "Exile on Main St." It's a great way to start your morning, or anything else you happen to be starting. It starts with one of Keith Richards' (the man whom, on many occasions, I have labeled "The Greatest Rock Star of All Time") signature open-tuned guitar riffs, and just explodes into a litany of surprises in melody and chord changes. According to Keith's autobiography, this album came together amidst a circus of hangers-on and chaos in his house in the south of France - and it ended up being one of the greatest collections of music of all time. So, I hope you enjoy this, and all of the rest of the week's tracks from The Rolling Stones:

1 comment:

Julie Humphreys said...

I don't know....I thought that you did some pretty awesome guitar solos yourself on your acoustic at Forza the other night!! I love hearing "YOU" play!! However, I do like the Rolling Stones!!